Saturday, September 25, 2010

NJSO at MAYO Theater at MoTOWN

So I just got back from a concert in my hometown of Morristown here in jersey. The New Jersey Symphony Orchestra played Beethoven's 9th.
The introduction piece to the show was Canticle of Freedom, and to be honest it was kind of a terrifying piece. The low bass drums and low tuned timpani gave the whole piece a sort of tribal ritualistic feel. But once the Westminster Choir entered with the lyrics everything turned a lot happier and powerful.
The rest of the program was Beethoven's 9th with readings in between from famous speeches narrated by Avery Brooks. It was some intense stuff.

The entire piece was great and the choir was amazing (my favorite past was tenor Bryan Griffin. Oh. My. God)

The ending "Ode To Joy" was spectacular. I've never seen the entire piece performed in full or with a full choir/orchestra so it was a pretty nice thing to see.

I can't wait to see another orchestra show!
Support your local orchestras!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a really good night out!

    Following,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete